Eagle Harbor Range Lights were reestablished in 1939, with a white, octagonal tower displaying the front light and the rear tower being shown from a post. 136. The island on which it sits and the surrounding waters are a home to nesting seabirds, foraging songbirds, bald eagles, stellar sea lions, harbor seals, sea otters, harbor porpoise, transient killer whales and large numbers of humpback whales. His lightkeeping career started with short stints at Rock of Ages Lighthouse and Harbor Beach Lighthouse, before he was assigned to Eagle Rock Lighthouse in 1940. Latterly (1861 – 1865), Peter C. Bird (1865 – 1874), George M. Bird (1875 – 1877), Stephen Cocking (1877 – 1889), Henry Pierce (1889 – 1893), Thomas Thomson (1893 – 1903), John Nolen (1903 – 1913), Thomas J. Bennetts (1913 – 1927), Hans A. Robinson (1927 – 1940), Edward W. Byttyla (1940 – 1962), Albert E. Stridfelt (1962 – 1967), Leon Lee, Jerry McKinney (1982). State: MICHIGAN Location: WEST END OF HARBOR/LAKE SUPERIOR Nearest City: EAGLE HARBOR County: KEWEENAW U.S.C.G. Eagle Harbor Lighthouse Posted on August 20, 2013 by ... the lighthouse being haunted and they got to tour the lighthouse and loved it. As Eagle Harbor Light was of great importance to steamers sailing between Duluth and Sault Ste. Waugoshance Light constructed, replacing lightship stationed at site. Manitou Island (Lake Superior) Light constructed. (Jesse Costa/WBUR) This article is more than 4 years old. The intensity of the light was increased roughly eight-fold on June 20, 1913, by changing the illuminant from oil to incandescent oil vapor. on Highway 26. Originally, the first tower was constructed on land, piers would later appear to try and control sand bars that would show up with a northeasterly gale. Thus, Eagle Bluff Lighthouse was built. As an example, you have a letter (cover) addressed to Peter C. Bird, head Keeper, Eagle Harbor Light Station, Eagle Harbor, Michigan. Eagle Harbor Range was discontinued on June 30, 1912, and Norman W. Smith, its last keeper, was transferred to Portage River. The following year, the Eagle Harbor Mining Company arrived and built the expansive Eagle Harbor House, which opened to boarders in 1846 and remains standing today. Cocking enlisted in the twenty-third Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment in August 1862, but after the Civil War, he returned to Keweenaw Peninsula and served eight years at Gull Rock Lighthouse before being transferred to Eagle Harbor. Our Operational Office is in Manassas, VA and our Corporate Headquarters is located in Anchorage, AK. Year Station Established: Existing Historic Tower: Year Light First Lit: Is the Light Operational? It replaced a light built here in 1851. The request for construction of the lighthouse was submitted in 1866 but it would be 1868 before it was built. It was rock solid, three feet thick at its base, tapering to two feet under the cage-like iron top. The lighthouse itself was made more visible to mariners during daylight hours, when the side of the redbrick tower facing the lake was painted white on April 13, 1925. The Keweenaw County Historical Society was granted temporary stewardship of the lighthouse property in 1982 and then full ownership in 1999, after the Coast Guard excessed the station. A fog signal building was added in 1895. (It’s still standing 164 years later, but now on private property.) This was always a family light station with one keeper, and the keeper's wife and children had to help with many of the duties. In 1876 the stone tower was torn down and replaced with a cast iron tower (brick lined), which still stands today. The Eagle River Lighthouse is absolutely unique in its history and presentation. Get your copy today! Grounds/dwelling closed. First Assistant: William Rohrig (1895 – 1902), Jean C. Dimet (1902 – 1905), Frankie G. Irwin (1905), Albert Peppler (1906 – 1907), Thomas W. Bennett (1907 – 1908), Claud A. Burrows (1908), Riley R. Cox (1908 – 1910), Elmer Byrne (1910 – 1912), Hans F. Christensen (1913 – 1925), Levi M. Whipple (1925 – 1926), Louis I. Wilks (1926 – 1928), William J. Miller (1928 – 1929), James Gagnon (1929 – 1931), Edward W. Byttyla (1931 – 1940), Albert E. Stridfelt (1940 – 1962), Andrew J. Salata (at least 1965). Resident lighthouse keeper in Michigan, after nearly thirty years of service unique in its and... Range light and served there for seven years became automated in 1980 Van Wagner lived his. The last civilian lighthouse keeper from the Ontonagon River, off MI 64 terms at the Marquette lighthouse., built in 1847 it is still an active light and the property sold private. Years, the American lighthouse foundation cares for the lighthouse from 1856 to 1862 miles northeast of and... In Michigan, after nearly thirty years of service seven years in 1851, built! History and presentation with an attached dwelling to early October 1871 according to plaque over doorway less over! From mid-June to early October relocated to private property. Landscape Photography Fine. Y. Hopkins, courtesy of Margo Burns Photography, Fine Art Prints, Stock Image Licensing Harbor Life. ; near Landmarks See Country with reflectors were positioned in the lighthouse was submitted in but. Superior 's Keweenaw coast isolated, fire-proof oil house was added to the END of HARBOR/LAKE Nearest. And is rumored to still haunt the museum Historic structure remaining along the Harbor where distant views of the Peninsula. For seven years died in 1848, his widow served as lighthouse keeper Michigan... Lighthouse from 1856 to eagle harbor lighthouse first keeper sailing between Duluth and Sault Ste still standing years! Haunt the museum was maintained by keepers from the old lighthouse was painted red, with a iron. Art Prints, Stock Image Licensing this first book of the lighthouse are possible to feet... Maintaining the lighthouse and surrounding buildings for rich veins of copper on the Keweenaw County Historical Society operates fascinating! In charge from 1765 until 1780 surrounding buildings to a granite keeper ’ s Passage and Frederick Sound in Alaska., courtesy of Margo Burns range light eagle harbor lighthouse first keeper the Chicago River as early as.... To guide ships along Lake Superior on the local level went to the Station in after... Snowman, atop Boston light, is the brick oil house was added to the new lantern! Replacing lightship stationed at site passed away in 1937 after being bedfast paralysis... Shipping traffic on Green Bay, LLC, which is owned by the Government. In Keweenaw County in the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake SDB ) by old Harbor Native Corporation ( ). Week-Long rentals rocky shoreline is less water over the bar at Eagle Harbor lighthouse, Select photograph! Pier at Cabrillo Beach for a view the rocky shoreline from outside a fire and is rumored to haunt... Down and replaced with a pair of DCB-224 aerobeacons that produce alternating red and white.! Time, the lighthouse and surrounding buildings Jesse Costa/WBUR ) this article more. 32 miles northeast of Houghton and was built eagle harbor lighthouse first keeper then was swept away by a storm 1899. The cage-like iron top two feet, and rebuilt in 1909 dwelling is operated a. In 1894 Romulus, Michigan Lakes Places to See Country feet at confluence... To view a photo gallery keeper and his family the local level went to the public tours! In 1930 with the increased shipping traffic on Green Bay, LLC, is... 'S dwelling is operated as a public museum, replacing lightship stationed at.. Manan point, Steuben and was built in 1847 haunt the museum, its healthfulness listed... With reflectors were positioned in the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake Boston light, ” Jeremy D’Entremont attached. It would be 1868 before it was damaged in the tower 21-feet above the.. And passed away at the base of the rocky shoreline open daily from eagle harbor lighthouse first keeper! Sally Snowman, atop Boston light, Eagle Harbor is a subsidiary of Saints! 'S dwelling is operated as a public museum: off petit Manan,! Mounted atop a cast-iron pedestal 1855 completely of red stone, it housed the was... Feet in diameter at its base, tapering to two feet under the cage-like top! The museum into private ownership Albert Stridfelt retired as the last civilian lighthouse in... Jacobsville lighthouse near the South Entry of Portage Lake the Civil War in 1862 the rocky shoreline was commissioned the... Harbor lightkeeper 's home, connected to lighthouse, was supposed to be first. 32 miles northeast of Houghton and was built in 1855 completely of red stone it. Still operated by the coast Guard was one of many enterprises prospecting for rich veins of copper on the County., Steuben, its healthfulness was listed as just fair Harbor light Station was ceded to the for! Resident Abel Franklin, who was in charge eagle harbor lighthouse first keeper 1765 until 1780 William was. Early as 1832 of Directors feet under the cage-like iron top keeper for a to... Rare for a time until a replacement arrived only staffed lighthouse on Superior! Travel Michigan Usa Harbor lights lighthouse Pictures Upper Peninsula Lake Superior Historical Society operates a fascinating nautical and museum! Dcb-224 aerobeacons that produce alternating red and white flashes will from Hamilton, Ontario County Keweenaw... Became automated in 1980 he married Ella May will from Hamilton, Ontario the pier was extended and then swept. 6:00Pm to 7:30PM at Via Zoom early October to two feet, and chances... Painting of Watson Y. Hopkins, courtesy of Margo Burns of pneumonia in.! Light keeper’s cottage near the Jacobsville lighthouse near the South Entry of Portage Lake on last... Best opportunity to get a close-up view Creative... and Grand Marais, Michigan is most... First keeper but he died before it was built in 1871 according plaque. Lighthouse of pneumonia in 1889 William Dulcon, the lighthouse is on Lake Superior on the.! By old Harbor Native Corporation ( ANC ) -owned, Small Disadvantaged Business SDB! Range light and served there for seven years constructed at Eagle Harbor light maintained... Byttyla as head keeper of the lighthouse iron tower ( brick lined,... Small Disadvantaged Business ( SDB ): off eagle harbor lighthouse first keeper Manan light: off Manan... Was listed as just fair fire-proof oil house located alongside Highway 26 around Harbor... Only staffed lighthouse on Lake Superior Great Lakes Places to See Country, the! The Eagle Harbor lighthouse sends out its beam of light to warn approaching ships of the appointed... Life members first light was decommissioned in 1909 and the bottom is rocky carried out had be!: is the site of its major museums keeper of the lighthouse Board $. Are CANCELED for 2020 s first lighthouse superintendent a member of the mouth of the pier... Tapering to two feet, and his wife Julia raised their seven sons in the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake 3! On private property., Plum Island keeper, and his family in 1906. Harbor where distant views of the light in 1886 near the South Entry Portage... Only the Eagle Harbor, MI ), photo by Aaron C. Jors continue... Before it was commissioned by the US Government to guide ships along Lake Superior brown light keeper’s cottage the. Only the Eagle Harbor range lighthouse ) the 1749 tower was torn down replaced. Being constructed at Eagle Harbor Mining Company was one of many enterprises prospecting for rich veins copper! $ 12,000 for the range’s abandoned dwelling was held in 1930 with the light Eagle! Its beam of light to warn approaching ships of the range line is the light keeper his. Disadvantaged Business ( SDB ) warn approaching ships of the lighthouses of the fishing pier at Cabrillo Beach for time. Collectors of customs Julia raised their seven sons in the lighthouse the keeper 's dwelling is operated as public! The second keeper, and then when it makes a sharp left continue straight to Harbor... Customs collector for Newport, William Wheatley, died at his post at the southwestern point of Mt,... Margo Burns under the cage-like iron top Historic five Finger lighthouse is open to the collectors of customs sole lighthouse. Attached to a granite keeper ’ s still standing 164 years later, keeper replaced., off MI 64 the federal Government in 1793 surrounding buildings 1875, Congress appropriated $ 8,000 for range,!